Film's Immigration Commentary Creates Buzz
LOS ANGELES -- Robert Rodriguez's highly-anticipated action comedy Machete opens this Friday, but it already looks like it could be a surprise hit.
Fandango surveyed nearly 1,000 Machete fans online and found the following results:
- 78% plan to see the movie on its opening day.
- 54% say the film's topical commentary regarding immigration issues have increased their interest in seeing the movie.
- 33% of moviegoers identify director Robert Rodriguez's track record as the top reason for seeing Machete; while 27% pick star Danny Trejo as the "first Latino badass action hero," and 14% select the casting of Jessica Alba and Michelle Rodriguez as strong Latina characters as their top reasons.
- 37% picked Lindsay Lohan as the Machete performer they’re most anticipating in a supporting “comeback” role; while 22% picked Cheech Marin, 19% picked Steven Seagal and 12% selected Don Johnson.
- 52% of Machete fans identify themselves as "Caucasian," 24% "Latino," 7% as "African American," and 3% as "Asian American" – indicating that the film may have crossover appeal.