GUMBO FOR THE SOUL
San Jose, CA (BlackNews.com) - Gumbo for the Soul Publications (GFTS), producer of the award winning "Gumbo for the Soul" anthology series, today announced the establishment of its "Gumbo for the Soul" Young Writers Division. GFTS is issuing a call to youth and children -- 10-17 years old -- for submissions of essays for possible publication in a new anthology, authored entirely by young people. Though only 100 of the submitters' works will be accepted for publication, all will be eligible for a random chance to win one of two $500 scholarship grants. Titled Gumbo for the Soul: If I Were Oprah, I'd...(©2009 GFTS), the book will be published, released and presented as a gift to Oprah Winfrey on her birthday January 29, 2010.
Call for Submissions:
* For anthology titled Gumbo for the Soul: If I were Oprah, I'd...
* 1,500-word or less essay expounding upon how the submitter would address a serious social or world issue via philanthropy efforts
* Submission deadline Saturday, September 5, 2009
* Both hardcopy and electronic version submissions are required:
Submit document attachment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Oprah" in the subject line; send hardcopy, along with proof of age (copy of school ID), and contributor guidelines/release document* (signed by parent or guardian) to: GFTS-Oprah | P.O. Box 5193, San Jose,| CA 95150
* Submitter must be between 10 and 17 years of age (proof of age required)
* 1,500 words or less essay expounding upon how the submitter would address a serious social or world issue via philanthropy efforts
* Microsoft Word doc attachment
* 12-point Times New Roman font
* Submitter's biography; maximum 25 words at footer of essay
* $25.00 non-refundable submission fee
Scholarship winners and authors selected for publication will be posted on www.gumboforthesoul.com and featured in a national press release. GFTS will notify authors selected for publication via email by December 2009. Gumbo for the Soul, a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity, will issue the scholarships June 2010. Proceeds from GFTS anthologies by and for young readers will benefit the Gumbo for the Soul Scholarship Awareness Program.
NEXT IN THE GUMBO FOR THE SOUL ANTHOLOGY SERIES
Gumbo for the Soul: Women of Honor is targeted for publication Breast Cancer Awareness Month, October 2009. Gumbo for the Soul will contribute a percentage of the proceeds from the book's sales to Sisters Network San Francisco -- an African American breast cancer survivorship organization.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED "GUMBO FOR THE SOUL" ANTHOLOGIES
Gumbo for the Soul: Here's Our Child-Where's the Village?
(Nov. 2008, ISBN: 978-1440101267, $11.95 U.S.)
BOOK COVER: "Grandmother Spirit"© by Synthia SAINT JAMES
FOREWORD By: Tee C. Royal, founder of RAWSISTAZ Literary Group
PROCEEDS Benefit: African Cradle, Inc., an inter-country child adoption agency
Gumbo for the Soul: the Recipe for Literacy in the Black Community
(April 2007, ISBN: 978-0595429073, $24.95)
BOOK COVER: "With Honors"© by Synthia SAINT JAMES,br> FOREWORD By: Heather Covington, author of Literary Divas: The Top 100+ Most Admired African American Women in Literature and NAACP Image Award Nominee
PROCEEDS Benefit: Gumbo for the Soul Scholarship Awareness Program
"Gumbo for the Soul" anthologies are available at amazon.com and bn.com