HealthCorps Highway to Health Festival 2009 with Dr. Oz, Health Expert of "The Oprah Winfrey Show"
Amy Barone, HealthCorps Communications Director
(646) 732 5076 *** email@example.com
HealthCorps Highway to Health Festival 2009 with Dr. Oz, Health Expert of “The Oprah Winfrey Show”
To Help New York City Communities Fight Child Obesity and Diabetes
HealthCorps®www.healthcorps.org, a proactive health movement with an educational and mentoring program in 28 New York City high schools, announces a massive City health fair spanning four boroughs on Saturday, May 30, 2009. HealthCorps was founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz, heart surgeon, Health Expert on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and host of the upcoming “The Dr. Oz Show” to fight child obesity and diabetes. RAIN OR SHINE.
WHAT: Highway to Health Fairs will offer free health screenings, healthy food booths, fitness workouts, cooking demonstrations, sports contests, games, prizes and giveaways. Reflecting each borough’s distinctive flavor, the fairs will feature a range of entertainment for all ages, from live music, DJ’s, and marching bands to step teams, singers, dancers, jugglers and celebrity appearances. Highlights include appearances from:
- ICONic Dance Group from season one of MTV Show “America's Next Best Dance Crew,” Just Food and Spirituality for Kids at Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan Fairs
- Zumba Latin fitness dancers, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, School Food, Alcoholics Anonymous, New York Organ Donor Network at all Fairs
- Broadway Performer/Choreographer/Director Stepp Stewart AND Ivo Gueorguiev from Cirque du Soleil and the Bravo special Dralion at Staten Island Fair
- Grandmaster Melle Mel AND Fordham Arts High School Step Team AND The City Gym Boys at Bronx Fair
- Jared Scharff and the Royals AND DJ Parallel AND special Coppertone® DermaPhoto Booth to analyze sun damage below the skin’s surface at the Manhattan Fair
- Salsa Band, Willie Villegas Y Entre Amigos, AND Miss Cyclone at the Brooklyn Fair
- American Diabetes Association at Staten Island, Manhattan and Bronx Fairs
- Samples from Pirate’s Booty by Robert’s American Gourmet at Manhattan and Brooklyn Fairs
WHERE: “Highway to Health” Fair and Festival 2009 will take place inside gyms and on school grounds:
Staten Island-from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Tottenville High School at 100 Luten Avenue, between Amboy Road and Eylandt Street. Take the Staten Island Ferry and transfer to the Staten Island Railroad; exit at the Huguenot stop. Press Conference led by Broadway Performer, Choreographer, Director and HealthCorps Ambassador Stepp Stewart scheduled for 11:30 a.m.
Brooklyn-from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Grand Street Enterprise High School at 850 Grand Street and Bushwick Avenue. Subway: L to Grand Street. Press Conference with Dr. Oz scheduled for 11 a.m.
Bronx-from 11 to 3 p.m. at Lehman High School at 3000 East Tremont Avenue and Hutchinson Parkway South. Subway: 4 to 125th Street and then 6 to Westchester Sq.- E. Tremont Ave. Press conference with Dr. Oz scheduled for 12:30 p.m.
Manhattan-from noon to 4 p.m. at George Washington Educational Campus at 549 Audubon Avenue. Subway: 1 to 191st Street. Press conference with Dr. Oz scheduled for 1:15 p.m.
WHO: Dr. Oz will host press conferences in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan to help draw attention to the boroughs’ health facilities and resources, as well as the HealthCorps Program. He will be joined by New York City Council Members, other public officials, athletes and trainers, HealthCorps Ambassadors and musical performers.
For more details on Highway to Health Fair & Festival 2009, please visit www.healthcorps.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Rob Lunde at (413) 262-3532.