COLUMBIA, SC —DESA, Inc. of Columbia, SC has recently released the 2009 South Carolina Parental Engagement Survey report. The survey that used in the report was designed to research the relationship between African-American parents and their local public schools.
The initiative that started the survey was implemented following the 2006 African-American Economic Summit. This event was held on the campus of Claflin University and was sponsored by Claflin University, the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus and the South Carolina National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Funding for this event was provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina and RBC Centura Bank.
Following the Summit, the Educational Subcommittee provided recommendations that would address parental involvement in the education of children among the African-American community. This ultimately led to the creation of the South Carolina Parental Survey and DESA’s analytical report.
The survey included results from 402 African-American parents from across South Carolina. Participants were granted anonymity for participating in the survey*, and in return, provided vital information detailing current relationships between schools and the communities that they serve.
The ultimate goal of DESA’s survey was to develop solutions that help strengthen the relationships between African-American parents and their child(ren)’s school to ensure that each child receives a quality education.
Throughout DESA’s report, readers can find:
· Complete background information on the report and how it began;
· A copy of the survey that was used;
· Survey response statistics; and
· Final recommendations
DESA’s detailed analysis has since been shared with the State Department of Education, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Urban League, local school boards and principals, community organizations, housing authorities and churches to help assist them in developing policies and programs that focus on enhancing the student’s overall learning experience.
To download a copy of DESA’s South Carolina Parental Engagement Survey report, visit www.DESAInc.com.
*Participant prize winners include:
$50.00 Savings Bond from First Citizens Bank:
· Sabrina Allen of Columbia, SC
· Julia Hinton of Columbia, SC
· Gloria McGirt of Dillon, SC
· Kowanna Myers of Hopkins, SC
· Linda Randall of Columbia, SC
$50.00 Walmart Gift Card:
· Sheron Capers of Irmo, SC
· Catrice Hubbard of Columbia, SC
· Stacie Jordan of Eastover, SC
· Sanovu Thompson of Columbia, SC
$5.00 Lizard’s Thicket Gift Certificate:
· Frederick Brown of Columbia, SC
· Evelyn Jacobs of Eastover, SC
· Marie Moore of Columbia, SC
· Marisa Rodriguez of Columbia, SC
· Thomasina Thomas of Darlington, SC
· Deborah Thorne of Columbia, SC
· Keisha Walker of Columbia, SC
· Vera White of Charleston, SC
· Beverly Wilson of Columbia, SC