WASHINGTON - On Saturday, February 12, 2011, Teach For America will host more than 10,000 alumni, corps members, and supporters for the organization’s 20th Anniversary Summit in Washington, D.C. Participants will join more than 300 distinguished education, government, and social reform leaders for a weekend of discussion and problem-solving focused on advancing the movement to close our nation’s achievement gap. The event is the largest in the organization’s history.
Wendy Kopp, founder and CEO, Teach For America will host the following featured speakers:
· U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan (keynote)
· The Honorable Vincent Gray, Mayor,
· The Honorable John Lewis,
· Geoffrey Canada, Founder and CEO, Harlem Children’s Zone
· Malcolm Gladwell, Author, The Tipping Point, Outliers, Blink, and What the Dog Saw
· Kaya Henderson, Interim Chancellor, D.C. Public Schools (Teach For America alumna)
· John Legend, Grammy Award-Winning Performing Artist and Teach For
· Janet Murgia, President and CEO, National Council of La Raza
· Michelle Rhee, Founder and CEO, StudentsFirst, and Former Chancellor, D.C. Public Schools (Teach For America alumna)
· Gloria Steinem, Writer, Editor, Political Activist; Co-founder, National Women’s Political Caucus; and Co-founder, Ms. Magazine
· Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
Opening Plenary Session: 9:15 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Closing Plenary Session: 4:45 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.