Wall Street April 3 & 4 ~ Bail Out the People, Not the Banks! Rain or Shine
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 2, 2009Media Contacts: Larry Holmes 917-825-2302, Dustin Langley 646-354-8056
Wall Street April 3 & 4
Activists from more than 50 organizing centers across the U.S. will march on Wall Street this weekend - starting Friday at 1 pm - to demand a real bailout for working people, including an immediate moratorium on foreclosures and evictions and a real jobs program.
'Bail Out the People, Not the Banks!'
Friday April 3 -
Gather at 1pm on Wall Street at Broadway (map)
Rally on Broadway from Wall Street south to Exchange and block further South to the 'Bull'.
For interviews, speakers information, and media packets, look for the 'Media' sign near the stage.
Invited Speakers Include:
New York City Council Member Charles Barron
Reverend Al Sharpton
Cynthia McKinney, Former Congressperson
Edward Ott, Director, New York City Central Labor Council
Ana Burger, Chairperson, Change To Win
New York State Assembly Person Inez Barron
John Sweeney, President, AFL-CIO
Joy Simmons, Operation Power
Messages From Representatives of:
March on AIG:
Students Against Sweatshops
Picture The Homeless
Peoples Organization For Progress
Million Worker March Movement
United For Peace And Justice
Make The Road By Walking
Take Back Our Economy
Right To The City
Health Care NOW!
Jobs With Justice
Professional Staff Congress CUNY
May 1 Coalition For Worker And Immigrant Rights
Coalition Of Black Trade Unionists
Coalition of Labor Union Women
- We will march through the narrow streets of the New York Financial District - Major financial institutions are all along Broadway and within one block of Rally - Chase, Fidelity, American Express, the New York Stock Exchange, the Federal Reserve, and more.
- We will march east on Pine to the AIG Buildings at 70 Pine and 80 Pine and then to the AIG Building on Water St.
- Then, we will march north on Water Street, which becomes Pearl Street, then becomes St James Place, turn west on Worth Street at Chatham Square in Chinatown to Centre Street, for an ending rally at 5:15 in Foley Square.
- March route is only 1.2 miles total through busy office and housing areas at rush hour.
Saturday April 4 -
- Activists will gather with chanting, drumming and music: 12 Noon to 1:00pm on Nassau between Wall Street and Pine – overlooking the NY Stock Exchange and in front of the Federal Reserve and Chase Bank (map) Enter area at Pine and Broadway go East one SHORT block to Nassau This is just a block from the Friday Rally site.
- We will join United for Peace and Justice as they come by at Pine and Broadway, about 1:00pm. One block further at Wall and Broadway the whole march will turn Left down Wall Street, turn Right at Broad Street and the NY Stock Exchange, then turn Right on Exchange and go back to Broadway. From there the march will proceed South to Battery Park.
For detailed rally location and march route for both days, see: http://bailoutpeople.org/logistics.shtml